Ontario Construction News staff writer
A report outlining 2020 progress and 2021 priority projects was presented to Ottawa’s Transit Commission at a recent meeting.
Transit Services 2021 Business Plan and Reporting on 2020 Business Plan identifies several key projects getting underway this year and others that continued last year despite the impact of the pandemic.
In his report, John Manconi, general manager, transportation services identified the following projects for 2021:
- O-Train Line 1 Station Improvements
- Rail Simulator Upgrades
- Stage 2 O-Train Project Construction
- Operational Response to COVID-19
- Battery-Electric Bus Project
- Transit Fare Working Group
- On-Demand Transit
- Enhanced Real-Time Information for Customers
- Permanent Bus Operator Barriers
- Legislated Improvements to Operator Breaks
“The focus in 2021 is on continuing to be flexible, adapting to the changing realities associated with the pandemic while working towards completing additional customer focused enhancements,” Manconi said in his report.
Construction on the Stage 2 O-Train Project is expected to proceed in the following areas.
Confederation Line East:
- Start preliminary works and site mobilization for work on stations by the end of the year; and, • Prepare guideway for initial track foundation between Montréal Station and Jeanne d’Arc Station. Confederation
- Continue site work on the Moodie Light Maintenance and Storage Facility;
- Continue preliminary foundation and ramp works at the Moodie, Pinecrest, and Holly Acres MTO interchanges;
- Start preliminary works and site mobilization at key station locations including Algonquin, Lincoln Fields, Queensview, New Orchard, Pinecrest and Sherbourne; and
- Continue preliminary cut-and-cover tunnel support of excavation construction ahead of foundations and form work
- Continue to advance the completion of new rail bridges;
- Continue to advance track work infrastructure along the new alignment between Greenboro and Bowesville;
- Complete the exterior of the new Walkley Yard maintenance and storage facility and advance the interior fit out;
- Progress station construction work at all locations; and
- Prepare for initial Stadler train deliveries to Ottawa