Ontario Construction News staff writer
CSV Architects recently completed an extensive rehabilitation of a residential care facilitylocated at 1095 Merivale Road in Ottawa.
Working with Shepherds of Good Hope, CSV designed the renovation and the upgraded three-storey residential building now includes 57 individual rooms, as well as a common kitchen and dining area.
Supportive housing will be available for individuals who are able to live with some independence but still require daily supports. Residents are provided with cooked meals in the dining room, have access to health and wellness services and will be able to participate in group activities.
To minimize the building’s environmental footprint, the following sustainable design materials and features were incorporated throughout:
- All exterior windows and doors replaced with new
- Full HVAC retrofit including addition of new high efficiency system
- New highly reflective white roof to reduce cooling costs in the summer
- Upgrade of typical existing exterior walls (from R-6.25 to R-25) using 4″ new spray-foam insulation
- Estimated 87% construction waste diversion from landfill using source separation recycling and reuse
- New low-flow plumbing fixtures in all washrooms
- New LED lighting